Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Decemberists


New Post!!! Finally, right? And... Here. We. Go.

The Decemberists- The Hazards of Love


I have yet to listen to the entire album, but from what I've heard, it's great. In fact, the Decemberists have managed to pull me into their songs many a time, yet, I have to say, the Hazards of Love might just be one of those few CDs that manages to get you singing along or tapping your foot less than a minute in.

If you have yet to listen to the Decemberists, I highly suggest you pick up The Crane Wife. The Hazards of Love is good, but, in my opinion, the Crane Wife beats all others. In the album, you'll hear songs on the Japanese folktale upon which a man falls in love with a crane/woman, gets married, and eventually betrays her. (That was a terribly summary- why don't you read the story here.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crane_Wife/
So anyways, the Decemberists have a very folk-y sound to them, think Death Cab For Cutie meets the Mountain Goats. The lyrics are amazing, very meaningful, if you like that stuff; the vocals don't take up all the songs, though. The other instruments also get their time, don't worry.

So, check them out.

I'll be back soon with another post, it might be awhile. Until then, watch this for me? It'll make you feel better, really.



No comments:

Post a Comment